Old September 19th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
John Ross Mc Master

Default Angie hates me

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:08:44 -0400, Adam
wrote:

This message more properly belongs in r.p.c.health+behav, but that group
seems to be predominantly off-topic. Anyway...

I am a volunteer cat socializer at the local SPCA, and doing pretty
well. There are several cats that no one but me is able to hold.
Unfortunately one of the cats, an adult named Angie, hates me. (I
believe she was simply "dropped off" at the shelter.) When I try to
touch her, she hisses at me. When I try to scratch her head, she swats
me. (Fortunately for me she is declawed.) If I happen to be within five
feet of her cage, she snarls at me. This makes things especially
difficult when I am trying to work with the cats in adjacent cages.
When I try to be nice to her, she hisses, snarls, and swats. I've tried
offering her catnip. I've tried brushing her. I've even tried hissing
and growling at her, to show her I'm not afraid of her (and I can
"out-stare" her, too), but nothing makes any difference in her behavior.
She is not like this with anybody else, not with the men and women who
work there, nor the men, women, and children who come through looking at
cats. Thursday they had to put a sheet over her cage, so she couldn't
see me while I was handling the cats in nearby cages!

What is going on here? What can I do to stop her from reacting to me so
strongly? How can I turn her into an adoptable pet?

Adam

What do the other humans do that you don't do? Why are they NOT
setting her off? I want to know and I want choonas!!!!!!!!!!! Many
choonas!!!!! And I'll bite my human's toe.

Cinder
http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=140147