Old January 10th 09, 05:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default How do you get a cat off a power pole?

"Candace" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 8:13 pm, wrote:
In rec.pets.cats.anecdotes Noon Cat Nick
wrote:

Candace wrote:

Another freaking cat crisis in my 'hood.

[snip]

The poor thing is up a power pole, resting precariously on the
telephone lines. About 5-10 feet higher are the live power
lines. It
looks like a muted tortie or calico. Of course, it looks very
sad and
uncomfortable and scared. The neighbor had already called the
Humane
Society (but I went and called, too, as they have ambulances and
are
usually here promptly to help) but they do not do power pole
rescues.

A cat can certainly survive temps in the middle 40s; that's no
problem.

As far as getting him down, I checked on news reports from the
past year
throughout the U.S. regarding cats stuck atop power poles. Seems
it's
unlikely that the animal can be coaxed down; someone's gotta go up
and
get it.

Start with Animal Control; they might have some ideas. From there,
go to
the Phoenix Police, possibly the local municipal utilities, then
try the
County Sheriff's office.

If the program "Animal Rescue: Phoenix" on Animal Planet has even a
grain
of truth to it, the Animal Control people should be willing to
rescue her.
I'm always seeing shows about them rescuing kitties from storm
drains, from
very high trees, off high ledges and so forth. Time to call their
bluff -
see if they'll do it in real life! (The show is supposed to *be*
real life,
but I don't know.)

Good luck, and I hope she comes down on her own if you can't get
anybody
to intervene.

--
Joyce ^..^

That show (which is true--and they have several ambulances and they
have always come out to help me before--no film crew, thank God) is
the Arizona Humane Society's show, not our Animal Control, and I
called the Humane Society. They said it's the owner of the pole's
problem, our electric company (one of them) and they're the ones with
the 72 hour rule. No, the Fire Dept. will not do it here.

I guess we might have to call the media tomorrow. Tonight there's not
much to do. I put the food (Fancy Feast Trout Feast) out there on a
block fence under the cat. He had switched his position, I'm sure
he's totally uncomfortable, and is sort of facing downward now, maybe
he's thinking about coming down. It's only about 20 feet up and there
is a 6 foot block fence so he could attempt a jump of about 14 feet.

The woman with several cats is not home yet. All my outdoor cats are
out in my yard so I'm sure the stranded kitty can see them. I'll
check again in a little while and then I won't check anymore because
I'm home alone this weekend and he's out in the creepy old alley. The
people in the house closest to him are concerned and keep checking on
him, too.

Pray for the little guy...

Candace

OK, odds are very much in favor of this being a girl, not a guy. So
lets purr and pray for the little girl. And if its 20 feet tops, and
probably 14, she should be just fine.

Bet she is down in the morning.

Otherwise, the media is an excellent idea.

Jo