Old March 15th 05, 03:00 AM
kitkat

Mary wrote:
"PawsForThought" wrote in message
oups.com...

Good article, Mary. You might also want to check out
www.felinefuture.com/nutrition/taurine.php

That really is a good one. One thing that jumps out at me
is that raw meats have lots, baked have less, and boiled
has the least of all. It must boil away in the water. Thanks,
Lauren! I am building quite a nice file on cat nutrition.

I found this interesting in this one:

"A deficiency of Taurine in cats will cause Central Retinal Degeneration
(eye lesions) resulting in total blindness within two years if the
deficiency is not remedied, Dilated Cardiomyopathy (enlargement of the
heart's chambers resulting in thinner, weaker heart walls) and reduced
reproduction in queens and growths in kittens."

I have kind of assumed that Jasper likely went blind because of a
taurine deficiency. For the past several years with his former owner, it
seems that he was eating a mostly human diet...food from old lady
Virginia's plate. When lucky, he would get a packet of Friskies. Not
that Friskies is some great cat food, but at least it is cat food and
has some taurine in it!!!

Also, one of the things that was noticed in Jasper's ultrasound was that
he had a slightly enlarged heart. This would also seemingly go hand in
hand with the taurine deficiency.

Poor Jasper.

(as he sits on the floor purring after a long petting session by daddy)
(heh. heh. heh.)

Pam