Old July 2nd 03, 07:52 PM
kaeli

In article ,
shared the illuminating thought...
Thank you for the response and information.

As you point out the oder is distinct. She indeed has been spayed and your
description could very well explain what is occurring. I'm waiting for a
call from the vet which I think will result in a journey for Ms. Mittsee.
Is there a way that I can 'express' the glands or is it something that needs
hands-on teaching?.

It depends on how severe the condition is.
Mild cases can be done at home by expressing using the fingers on the
outside of the anus at the 8 and 10 o'clock positions with the cat well-
secured and the tail lifted (cat is standing or crouched).
Moderate has to be done by the vet, as they express by actually putting
their fingers inside the anus rather than doing it from the outside.
Impaction can even require sedation. Abscess requires surgery.

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself until you've seen the vet do it.
You could hurt the cat - there's a nerve near the anus and if it is
damaged or pinched, could result in a lot of pain for the cat and even
incontinence.
Also, it isn't pleasant for the cat (or you!) so it usually takes two
people. One to hold the cat still and one to do the expression. Or, for
my cat, it takes 4 vet techs and the vet. *LOL*

~kaeli~
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace
Kill one man and you are a murderer.