Old June 22nd 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default not quite OT....

hopitus wrote:
On Jun 21, 3:49 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
hopitus wrote:
On Jun 20, 8:21 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Irulan wrote:
A judge in New York has taken 10 million dollars which was
inherited by hotel mistress Leona Helmsley's pet dog and
distributed the money to 2 of her grandchildren who were
left out of her will. The dog inherited a total of 12 million from
Helmsley who wanted the money to go to charity if/when the
dog died. The judge did leave 2 million for the dog's upkeep.
That should be adequate for a lifetime's upkeep for the dog, but maybe
Ms. Helmsley didn't WANT to leave anything to her relatives! I have (I
hope) made it plain in MY will that the niece who ripped me off for some
$50,000 in CD's (by managing to get her name on as joint owner) will get
no more from me! (Assuming I have anything to leave, after taking that
large a hit!)
I remember your posts about the theft from your out-of-town bank
accounts
awhile back. Glad you at least got to the bottom of that business.

"Got to the bottom", yes - but not got the money back. Because her name
was on the accounts (and her mother is dead, so cannot testify that she
didn't authorize it) the police could do nothing. The District Attorney
there thought I'd stand a good change of getting a judgment for at least
half the money, but since it would mean hiring an attorney and traveling
to Wisconsin (from Arizona) when the case got to court, I figured I'd
better quit without sending good money after bad. (And a "judgment"
wouldn't guarantee I'd ever see any of the money!)

Oh, you're right about that! But I dunno about AZ but up here in your
neighboring square (LOL) state, when people don't pay their court-
ordered
judgments, warrants are issued, defendant is put into custody, and if
judgment not paid on spot (in court) and/or judge is in bad mood, its
the slammer for at least 30 days or more......just trying to help. You
may not want to do this, I realize.

The problem is that the bank the money was stolen from is in Wisconsin,
the niece lives in Minnesota, and I live in Arizona. Suit would have to
be brought in the state where the theft took place (Wisconsin) and it
just seems too much of a hassle when I can't be SURE of the outcome.
(True, it's an awful lot of money to lose, but considering that I am now
retired and living on a limited fixed income, and realizing how much a
lawsuit might cost, with no guarantee I'd get any of the stolen money
back, it just seems best to cut my losses.) "Leave her to Heaven" - she
pretends to be such a devout Christian, I'd sure like to be peering over
St. Peter's shoulder when she arrives at the Pearly Gates!