Old March 5th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default a stray came to my door last night! Help!

I'm going to take him to the vet to get him tested for contagious
diseases on Monday. What tests does he need and how long should I wait
before allowing him to mix with my precious healthy indoor cats? I can
wash my hands between cats but is it dangerous to have him in the
closet and go in and out? He actually looks healthy and I don't think
he's been lost very long...long enough to get hungry and somewhat
skinny but not totally starved or ratty yet. My vet can check him for a

The only disease you can carry back to your other cats is panleaukopenia
(distemper) either on your hands or your clothes but you would most likely
know if the cat had it as he would be very sick. This disease can affect
cats but it mostly affects kittens. The vet will test for feline leukemia
(not transferrable by you - they need close contact with eachother for a long
period of time before it's transmitted) and you can ask him if there's
anything else he will check for.

Do you have an extra room you can put him in with his own litter box. He
shouldn't come out and be around your other cats until after his vet visit.
Even after that, it would be a good idea to take it slow when you introduce
him to your other cats, they probably won't like him at first but after
awhile, they'll accept him. You could take a towel that he's layed on (later,
not now) and bring it out to them and let them sniff it so they get used to
his smell.

If you don't find the ower and decide to keep him, you are a great person for
doing this. He was lucky to have found you.

NanCe