Old December 15th 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kelly Greene

Default Urinary blockages

"Rene" wrote in message
.

I've been reading on feeding more of a raw diet. What do you think of
that?
Getting a balanced diet into them using raw meat would be my main
concern.

A raw diet would be excellent, provided it was a balanced diet. Grain-
free canned is also good.

Here are some links that might be helpful.

Cat nutrition: http://www.catinfo.org/

Nutrition and raw diets: http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php

A very good book, which discusses much on wet and raw diets is Your
Cat. Here is a link to it in Amazon so you can see what it looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/Your-Cat-Simpl...0911453&sr=8-1

FWIW, I fed my oldest dry for the first four years of his life. He had
a UTI at age 1 1/2, then needed surgery for crystals at age 3. Since
he's been on a grain free, wet diet, he's had NO urinary problems (and
he's 11 now).

Wow! That poor kitty - and so young. I so fear Spirit suffering from such
an awful and painful condition. I have no idea what he was fed before since
someone just dumped him off out here. He will get no dry food here except a
little "Wellness" or "Solid Gold" as a weekly treat. I am going to read the
above sites if I haven't already. I've spent hours and hours online
learning about cat nutrition. I want these 3 kitties to live long healthy
lives. I don't mind buying raw foods for them. There has to be a grocery
store here that carries organ meats. I'm going to start with chicken
wingtips.

The big boy, our newest cat "Spirit" (12 lbs of muscle) isn't out of the
woods yet. His injury was deep and wide. I can only pray it doesn't get
infected. He goes back to have the drain removed Saturday or Monday. I have
to call them tomorrow for an appt.