Old April 25th 08, 06:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Riannon via CatKB.com

Default Omega 3 oil for crf cat

Phil P. wrote:
Old school thinking. 4 is too low. You want to keep the cat's serum
potassium levels in the upper half of the normal range so that the cat will
still be able to maintain normal serum potassium levels when the body stores
of potassium are low or when there is a shift in potassium from ECF to ICF.

Thanks Phil, I'll have to speak with her again. I've been hearing from
others too that their vets didn't recommend potassium supplementation for
their crf cats, even ones who have a lower number than mine. I wonder why so
many are not up to date on this. When I hear what other people are doing,
sometimes I feel like I'm not doing enough; all I do is give her kidney food.
One of the vets where I go had suggested Fortekor a few years ago and I
turned it down, thinking that my Missy would just be a guinea pig for it as I
thought it was too new on the market for cats. Now it'll probably turn out
that it works wonders or something and I'll have missed out on it as it's a
little late to try it now that her creatinine is over 5 (I've read it could
raise creatinine and should be started when it's lower than that). Sigh.

Riannon