Old February 19th 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mikey

Default A terrible accident - Need opinions on what went wrong

silvercelt wrote:
The vets should have taken him in and treat him for at least shock.
He should have been give IVF and kept warm in kennels. The injuries
may have been fatal before you took him to the vets, but he should
have been admitted for obs and fluids.

I just looked at the paperwork and it shows he was given fluids. They
did try to warm him with blankets and special heating/water bottles.
They actually sent two of these bottles with me when I took him home.

I might take him to my regular vet today if I decide to have him
cremated. They were faxed all the paperwork about what happened so I
might ask them if they can offer an opinion. They might have one but I
doubt they'd give it to me.

Now I can't make up my mind if I should bury him or have him cremated.
His brother who he was close to is buried in my backyard and I want
them to be together. But we still have hard ice covering the ground
and it may not be possible to bury him until later in the week
(Wednesday or Thursday). That could cause odor problems and he smells
as it is (sorry). I actually prefer cremation but I do want him with
his brother. I could scatter his ashes on his brother's grave once the
ice melts. But then I feel like it's not the same. Or I could pour his
ashes in a box and bury those beside his brother once the ice melts.
But then what do I do with the urn? I really don't want to bury that,
it doesn't seem right. I can't decide what to do and I need to make a
decision soon, like today. Decisions, decisions.

I've never had a problem with these decisions before. But somehow,
this is different. Oddly, I'm not even angry at the dog owner. I was
when it happened but cooled off fairly quickly. I'm not even all that
upset because I'm sure it was meant to happen and I did everything I
could. In the past, I've made lousy decisions in emergency situations
but this time I know I made the right decisions. Or maybe I'm in shock
and it will hit me later in the week.