Old March 24th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Overwhelmed...

Pat wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote

My father, in his attempts to offer suggestions to help me find work,
asked
yesterday what about job possibilities in Little Rock? Bless his
heart, Little Rock, Arkansas is a 3-1/2 hour drive one way so
commuting isn't possible. He seems to have forgotten how expensive
it is to relocate.

Thanks, Jill.

I think relocating to a big city is made easier on the budget by all
the competition among apartment complexes. Lots of them offer
freebies for signing a year's lease, and that can help with expenses.

Wouldn't you be closer to John if you went to LR? And it's a much
nicer city, IMHO, than Memphis.

I'd be closer, certainly. But unlike you, I couldn't just haul stuff back
and forth (or have some unwanted help moving it for me). I'd have to hire a
moving firm. I'd also have to break a lease which means paying a penalty of
2 months rent *and* deal with the whole thing (which you know about) of
having new utilities turned on, new phone service, etc.

I'm don't know that Little Rock is nicer city than Memphis. I've never been
there. I do know according to the 2000 census (heh) it had a population of
200,000 whereas Memphis had 650,000. This suggests LR would have fewer jobs
to offer, too.

Dad is trying to offer helpful suggestions; I know that. He keeps
forgetting, whenever we relocated (which was often until he retired from the
Marines in 1972) the costs of relocation and often even housing was paid for
by the military. I know he's just trying to help.

Jill