Old October 7th 04, 05:20 PM
KellyH

"Laila" wrote in message
i got Shaina spayed last week and she is doing fine. more lively than
ever. i was wondering if she needs a FRV/RTC yearly vaccination if
she is an indoor only cat? the vets, at least the receptionists who
do the billing at that hospital, are very shifty. they tried to add
such things as deworming, FLV and FIV vaccines . i literally had to
lean over the counter, point to every single thing that Shaina doesn't
need done for her to remove it.

If Shaina was never dewormed, it is a good idea to have that done. Most
kittens, especially kittens born to stray moms, are born with worms. IIRC,
you got Shaina as a little kitten from a rescue? They may have dewormed
her, you should probably double-check her records.
She should have the FVRCP vaccine, if she hasn't already. Again, check her
records from the rescue. You may want to do some research on vaccines and
decide how often she should have it. The newest thinking is the FVRCP
vaccine is good for 3 years. This is just my opinion, but the FeLV and FIV
vaccines are not neccessary for indoor cats.

the spay certificate was $55 and the rabies vaccine $35 + $13.5 for
amoxicillin drops. ok that's fine. when i came in to pick her up and
pay, they give me a bill for $98 or something. i was like, and did i
have two cats to spay? no, apparently the vet cleaned her ears during
the surgery.

I'm a little confused. Was the bill $98 total, or $98 for an ear cleaning?
Sometimes vets will do the ear cleaning for free, just for the heck of it.
Did they check for earmites? If that's the case, then a charge of $15 or so
is appropriate. If it were my cat, I would not mind this, as earmites can
be very detrimental to a cat if not caught and treated. If she was born
stray, this is something kittens commonly "come with".

All in all, the charges seem fairly reasonable to me.
--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net