Old January 7th 11, 08:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Germany dioxin contamination mess - could it affect pet food?

"Nadia N." wrote in message
The German dioxin contamination story has been in the news a lot lately,
at least here in Europe. It seems that chickens at thousands of farms have
been fed dioxin-contaminated feed since March of last year. Here's a link
to a BBC story about this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-12134225

I am worried how this affects pet food made in Germany. I buy Kotyo and
Sweety's food online from zooplus, which is a German online pet store, and
the food I order from there is shipped from Germany. I checked the cans
that I have - the Hill's doesn't say where the can was made. The other
food they eat, called Porta21, is made by a German company but it says
"product of Thailand" on the can.

I am concerned whether the food I have been feeding them for the last year
was safe or not. Nowhere in the news articles that I have found online do
they mention whether the contaminated chicken meat has ended up in pet
food. Has anyone heard anything about pet food being affected by this?

No, but why not get in touch with them? I did email my cat food people a
while ago to ask about Chinese ingredients.
I got a positive response from the firm that is not far from me - who
produce Whiskas etc.
From Bob Martin (I had some treaties for Boyfie they'd made) they could not
assure me that nothing from China was in there
so they went into the bin.
They were all honest, I think.
So why not ask them?
I would and did.
Nothing harmful will touch my beloved boy's mouth if I can help it.
Bob Martin could have said after the USA scandal "Oh, no, nothing from China
is in our food", but to give them credit they did not deny it when I asked
even though they knew it would mean I would never buy their products again.
I like them for that.

Tweed