Old September 16th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Is taking a cat overseas a good idea?

Hi,
I live in Quebec, and moved to Rome for a year in 2002 with my
cat, who was 16 at the time. Yes, I had to get the international
vaccination certificate - my vet had the form - but when we arrived in
Rome, no one even noticed her. She was completely ignored. I walked
right out from customs with the cage. (Still, she was checked on our
return to Canada a year later, so I did end up needing the
certificate!) She, like most cats, was very stressed by the travel, but
was in her cage under my seat, so I could put my fingers through and
reassure her. Actually, the airline rule was that she had to be put in
the washroom during takeoff and landing. You might want to get a
sedative for your cat if you travel with him. Once in Italy, cats are
very popular, although Italians HATE the idea of declawing. Find an
English-speaking vet unless your Italian is fluent. In big cities, this
is not impossible. Unless you can find a wonderful foster home, I'd say
take your cat; they do adapt as long as they have us, their people.
Good luck.

wrote:

I read a long time ago that it's not such a hot idea because cat's have
a huge possibility of not making it... due to stress and whatnot...

My husband is in the USAF and we will possibly be stationed in Italy in
the next year or so and I really do not want to leave my cat behind. I
don't know what to do, but I want some kind of a plan.

My only concern is his attachment to me and his
nervousness/anxiousness.... he has panic attacks and hyperventillates
when he's really upset/scared... so I dunno...

I'd appreciate ANYTHING...