Old March 11th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Gentaved and Prednisolone combo for skin problem?

Wilbur Post wrote:
Rather than try another shot of Depo Medrol for my 9 year old female
longhair (last one was three months ago), our vet replaced Tresaderm with
Gentaved and added 5 mg/day of Prednisolone to try and stop the licking
which is either the cause or the effect of her hind leg sores.

Anyone have experience with Gentaved? I know it's a combo of an anti-
biotic and a corticosteroid.

Correct. Pretty much run of the mill topical stuff. Gentamicin is
prescribed for gram negative bacteria - usually Pseudomonas spp. and
gram neg Staph. I would keep the cat from licking the Gentamicin off
of her legs - it can have adverse effects on the kidneys.

Since I don't give her the Prednisolone by mouth, that means I have to
crunch into powder and get the low sodium turkey breast, or some Boars Head
roast beef. She actually will eat the pill powder as long as I roll some
small pieces of the meat around it.

My opinion (take it or leave it) is that Depo injection is more
effective than oral Pred. Both have similar long-term side effects.
The topical meds may help soothe the skin, though.

Good luck with your kitty. It sounds like she has an allergy - you ned
to see if you can find out what the allergy is. Read Cheryl's post in
your other thread about her allergy journey with her kitty Shamrock -
also Google it. Lots of good info came from her experiences.

-L.