Old April 23rd 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Advice solicited about flying with cat

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
On 23 Apr 2006 07:43:47 GMT, Brandy Alexandre
wrote:

Charlie Wilkes wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:55:42 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

I hope this helps. It is rather long and rambly, but I have been
trying to
Yes, it's very helpful. Thank you.

I suppose my biggest concern is fellow passengers... personal
rights activists seem to be everywhere these days.

If I can't take him on the plane, I will leave him with my
tenants. He is the most serene cat I've ever known, and he will
deal with it just fine.

Charlie

I didn't take the time to read that long reply, so I might be
repeating.

I looked into flying a great deal before deciding to drive with Kami
last year. A lot depends on the airline, but as far as in-cabin
travel, the cat *is* considered one of your carry-ons, but they will
also charge a fee. Most will limit in-cabin pets to two or three, so
you must "reserve" Tweaker's space when you make your reservation. Not
many seem to care about vet certificates, but when you decide which
airline, make sure what they require as soon as possible because some
require certificates with "no sooner' and "no later" dates on them.
Basically, they do *everything* they can to discourage traveling with a
pet.

Note also they have rules that will not allow you to let him out for
any reason during the flight (though celebs seem to do this all the
time). I was also concerned about allergies and such, but since
airline policy allows you to be there, stand your ground with
complainers and make sure they move before insisting you do.

I would rather sit somewhere else than get into a ****ing contest that
the flight attendant has to deal with.

But, I've already bought my ticket, and I haven't yet called the
airline to ask about the cat. The more I think about it, and weigh
the comments I have gotten from you and Mary, the more I am inclined
to leave Tweaker in the care of my tenants. He knows them and he is
friends with their dogs, one of whom is curled up on the couch with
him at this moment. They are nice people, and they know how much he
means to me.

Charlie

The problem is... no matter how much advice you receive on the issue you
still will not be able to predict how *your* cat will react to a flight.