Old May 8th 05, 06:44 PM
dh@.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 16:52:02 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:

dh@. wrote:
On Thu, 05 May 2005 21:03:59 GMT, Rudy Canoza wrote:

wrote:

Yes they can.
I did write that, and it's true.

You write lots of ****, virtually all of it false. You
****ing bonehead.

Animals experience disappointment

No, they don't.

The writings of Charles Darwin on the web
by John van Wyhe Ph.D.
[...]
I formerly possessed a large dog, who, like every other dog, was much
pleased to go out walking. He showed his pleasure by trotting gravely
before me with high steps, head much raised, moderately erected ears,
and tail carried aloft but not stiffly. Not far from my house a path branches
off to the right, leading to the hot-house, which I used often to visit for a
few moments, to look at my experimental plants. This was always a great
disappointment to the dog, as he did not know whether I should continue
my walk; and the instantaneous and complete change of expression which
came over him as soon as my body swerved in the least towards the path
(and I sometimes tried this as an experiment) was laughable. His look of
dejection was known to every member of the family, and was called his
hot-house face. This consisted in the head drooping much, the whole body
sinking a little and remaining motionless; the ears and tail falling suddenly
down, but the tail was by no means wagged. With the falling of the ears and
of his great chaps, the eyes became much changed in appearance, and I
fancied that they looked less bright. His aspect was that of piteous, hopeless
dejection; and it was, as I have said, laughable, as the cause was so slight.
[...]
http://pages.britishlibrary.net/char...pression02.htm