Old December 4th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
sparky

Default Cat's survival with heartworm and 3+ heart murmur

Hi,

This is my first time posting. I have recently taken my cat to the
vet due to a fight Lucky was recently in. Lucky is normally a placed
cat and I was surprised that at 12 years old, he would end up with
bites on his neck, which led to an abcess. The vet did several tests
which eliminated many potential problems. Lucky has a heart murmur of
3/6...this has increased from last year. He has respiratory problems
but my concern is that he has been losing weight the past year yet
eats a lot.
The vet has narrowed the problems down to these and will take blood
tests when Lucky has his
checkup this Friday: he has heartworm or feline aids. I do not feel
that he has feline aids. He is not a fighter (this is the first time
he came home with bites and scratches from a fight). Even though I put
Revolution on him monthly year round and he gets shots yearly, he has
little hair on his ears and I live in GA where mosquitoes are
plentiful and Lucky does like the outdoors.
Lucky is 12 years old and has a heart murmur. If he does have
heartworm, could anyone give me a
guesstimate as to the time Lucky might have left? Has anyone had a
cat who has had heartworm?
I have read info online but would like some human experience. The
ironic twist to this is that I went to the Cobb County Humane Society
to select one kitten that day(in the cell next to Lucky) and Lucky (an
all-black cat) was in the adjacent cell and he would take one bite of
food and look at me. The worker came over and told me that nobody
wanted him after 8 weeks and they were going to put him to sleep that
afternoon . He told me that Lucky had such a nice personality and so
I could not live with myself if I did not take him. As it turned out,
Lucky is a very good cat, very loving. I don't have any children so
Lucky and his sister Chelsea are my "babies".
Any info at all would be appreciated.

Sparky