Old August 18th 04, 03:51 PM
O J

Default My 24 hour kitty

Hi All,

I'm not suggesting that you not read this, nor am I suggesting that
you turn away. It's a very sad story about a little kitty that I only
had for a little more than twenty-four hours.

While I was recuperating from a debilitating illness, my sweet Lynda
came home one day with an unexpected surprise. It was a tiny tuxedo
kitten who was sick and might have been on its last legs. Lynda knew
that with all the time I was spending in bed, I'd have time to nurse
and care for the kitten. She moved a tray table nest to the bed and
put the cat carrier on it. There was a little litter box in the
adult-sized carrier and a folded up towel to lay on.

I held the kitty on my chest when I was awake and put her in the
carrier when I knew I was going to sleep. All the poor little thing
had the strength to do was lay there and purr. I fed her cat food off
my finger, though she couldn't get much of it down and there was a
little saucer of water in the carrier as well which she occasionally
sipped at.

Most of my other cats are really bonded to Lynda more than me. She
feeds them all their meals, she was at home while I was still working,
and they just spent more time with her. The little tuxedo kitty was
supposed to become my special baby. Who knows how that would have
worked out, but that was the plan.

I nodded off just as I had helped the kitty off my chest and into the
carrier. I thought she needed to use the litter tray. When I woke,
she was laying half over the edge of the carrier. It didn't look very
comfortable, with the edge of the plastic pushed into her little tummy
so I went to boost her little hind legs over the edge of the carrier
so she could take care of her business in the litter.

There was something wrong though. Her little legs wouldn't hold her
up, in fact she was limp all over. My hands wouldn't stop trying to
lift her up though. It was as if they had minds of their own and they
kept trying to get the kitty to stand up on her poor little lifeless
legs.

Damn! Sometimes it seems that things are just rotten and nothing is
worth giving a hoot about. That's how I felt when I realized that the
little kitty would never stand up on those tiny legs again. All I
could do is take a little comfort from the idea that she had spent her
last day and a half snug and warm.

I don't know why I wrote this. It's just taking some personal
emotions and trying to put them behind me. I hope I haven't ruined
anyone's day.

Regards and Purrs,
O J