Old October 26th 04, 03:48 AM
Rhonda

There are feral groups around that will trap, spay/neuter, and release
if someone is feeding them.

I think it would be a good idea to get that eye treated, at the very
least. You might call the Humane Society and see if they can give you
the names of some feral rescue groups who could help. Also, if you offer
a donation or even offer to cover the expense of eye-treatment or spay,
neuter, that might help them to be able to help the cats. Maybe even
take donations at your office.

The Humane Societies themselves are usually over-extended and may not
take feral cats. They take lots of time to tame, something the H.S. does
not always have.

Good luck,

Rhonda

ceb2 wrote:

I recently started working in a place where I frequently see two
obviously feral cats in the back parking lot. They are both adults,
all white, beautiful cats, but a little skinny, and kinda mangy, but
they look in good health otherwise prbably siblings. The parking lot
abuts a fiels with trees and tall grass (and some debris), it's at
least a half mile long and several hundred feet wide. One of the cats
is missing an eye and it wasn't done surgically. It's a messy, bloody,
scabby wound. I can't really tell that it's in any discomfort or not,
but it seems a recent wound. I've only been working here a month but
the cmpany moved here around 18 mos ago and the cats were here then
too. Someone else in the building set up a dry bed for them behind the
dumpster and is feeding them. I would never bring them home as I have
kittens who would probably be hurt or infected by adult ferals.

These are my choices:

Do nothing. These cats have been here at least a year and a half.
Maybe much longer, and are still kicking. They must be doing something
right. Someone made them a bed and is feeding them. They have ample
place to hunt and play in the field which abut parking lots and back
yards. The downfall, it is very close to the Sials Deane Highway, a
busy Connecticut retail road with lots of traffic, also, I'm not sure
what Kinda shape ol' 'one eye" is in. If that eye gets infected he may
die. For all anyone knows, they barely lived through a rough CT winter
last year and maybe can't last another.

My other choice is to call the animal hospital down the street or the
Humane Society to come catch them. They will then be cared for
someplace warm, be well fed by nice people and may get adopted. More
likely they will be euthanized, or at least the one missing an eye.

What would you do?