Old August 3rd 03, 05:06 PM
bewtifulfreak

"L. Kelly" wrote in message
. ca...

As a further note in trying to reason with Bob.....I read a quote today

that I think fits
him perfectly and thought that I would share it will all who are

interested.

"How much easier it is to be critical, than to be correct." ... Benjamin

Disraeli

How very appropriate.

In the debate on whether or not to keep a cat strictly indoors, or let it

have some
outdoor freedom, there really is no "right" or "wrong." I feel that the

cats will let the
slaves know if they are unhappy. As long as the cats are fed, loved, happy

and healthy,
the slave should have the right to chose what is "good" for their cat.

In rural areas, with fewer dangers...let your cats have some freedom. In

the city,
wrought with every kind of evil you can imagine, use your best

judgement...and let your
kitties always be your guides in what that decision is.

This reflects my outlook on the issue to a tee, well said. Obviously, if a
cat has been an outdoor cat, and is then rehomed, it should ideally be
rehomed to someplace it can still wander. If a cat is going to be indoor
only, it should really be done right from the get-go (or as soon as
possible, where feral kittens are concerned). That said, there are always
exceptions and individual situations; my Simba used to always sneak out of
my apartment, and now lives with my mom in her apartment complex where cats
are not allowed to wander; he pokes his nose out, but unlike another cat she
had, doesn't run off, but runs right back in! So clearly, he feels safer
and more comfortable indoors, whereas the other cat clearly wanted more
freedom (and even still, was *very* happy and content with my mom, and
shouldn't have been wandering anyway, because he was FLV positive). As you
said, the kitties always have to be your guide. And as I said to Bob, I
know that any one of us, seeing that our cat was clearly bored or unhappy,
would do anything to see that change, even if that meant rehoming it. I
also disagree about leashes and enclosures....I think those are *wonderful*
compromises. A big enough enclosure is much better than a mere cage and
gives a cat access to fresh air, greenery and sunshine, and while you
certainly can't treat a cat on a harness the same as a dog on a leash, it
gives the cat a chance to wander while still being supervised and cared
after.

So, yes, as long as your cats are fed, loved, happy and healthy (and really,
a cat makes it very clear whether it is happy or unhappy), caring for a cat
is like caring for a child: we all have opinions, but it is truly up to each
individual as to how to best care for their companion.

Ann