Old January 7th 08, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Paul M. Cook

Default Swollen Lower Lip & Chin On Kitty

wrote in message
My 8 year old male cat has a swollen lower lip, right where it goes
into the hair part of his chin. Looking at him he seems to have more
of a pink part to his mouth and pulling back the lip you can see this
swelling. I've added a link to a photo of another cat with where it is
outlined in blue.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/sheellah/cat.jpg

It's the same color as the rest of his gum, or lip, and doesn't look
red or inflamed, so I don't think it's from a tooth. It feels firm.
It's about 3/4" X 1/4", and raised about 1/4". It just looks raised,
slightly bumpy, with one of two small whitish spots like the head of a
pimple. It doesn't look like a tumor or shiny nodule. He was eating
from old plastic dishes, and I've ordered new stainless ones for him.
He does go outside. I wonder if something could have bitten him. We
also have some plants on the indoor terrace, and some hot pepper
plants but none of them seem bitten into. There's also some thyme. All
these plants have been there quite a while though.

I looked at all the photos and it could be an EOSINOPHILIC GRANULOMA,
but that's usually on the top lip, and redder in color. Is there any
other way to treat that besides cortisone shots? He's been on the same
food for almost 2 years so I don't think it's a food allergy. We have
been applying warm compresses, but it looks the same.

Otherwise he seems to be fine. Would really appreciate any
suggestions. Anything I can try on it that's over the counter before
he goes to the vet? Thanks!

Looks like a spider bite to me. It does not appear infected. The acne
usually appears on the underside of the chin. I once took my cat in to a
vet for the exact same reason but the lower lip was hugely swollen. He gave
it a little squeeze and out popped a blob of pus. Turned out to be a
pimple. A 65 dollar pimple.

Paul