Old April 20th 09, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cyberpurrs

Default Cat food brands--Science Diet = cat equivalent of rich folk buying their people food at Whole Foods and other boutique grocery stores?

"James" wrote in message
On Apr 19, 1:47 pm, "Ralph" wrote:
You've seen the ads, and you're skeptical - good.
Now you need to know some cat biology, what they need, and what's in the
commercial food that they don't need.
Don't believe me. Look it up. Ask your vet. Ask your friends, and at work,
and see if they know anything.
Ask at the pet food store. You may get surprised, and find some useful
information, from a knowledgeable person, who is not just a clerk or
salesperson.
- gotta do this one repeatedly. It's a time-consuming project, but it'll
pay off, in your cats life.

Especially as your pet gets older, it'll become important. A large
percentage of cats die of kidney failure. (I heard 30% frequently)
My vet never gave me any information in 15 years, on cat food content,
despite regular questions. I got bad advice, that made my cat sick.
The money I used to spend at the vet, has paid for a minor increase in
food
cost, and lots left over for me.
My cat is now improving in health, after I found a combination of foods
that
work for her.
I'm not rich, so I not only don't, but can't go for the expensive stuff.
She's now 17, and still purrs better than my car.

You might also check out a video from CBC called "cat got your wallet".
The "Shopping Bags" on TV, do reviews on commercial products, also did a
short piece on cat food, that I found helpful.

Thanks for the heads up. The video link is

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/cat_got_your_wallet/

It should be watched by all airheads whose only advice is take them to
the vet.

This from the loser who had his heat turned off last winter. Yes, yes, we
know, you don't want to spend any money on "pussy."