Old October 22nd 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Landlords & Pets (was: !! Screens !!)

In article ,
"cybercat" wrote:

It would be nice if your landlord would help with the cost, but I
can't see it happening.

It worked for us. The landlord (admittedly an animal lover himself)
considered it an upgrade. We split the cost 50-50, with him buying and
installing the screen and us paying a slightly elevated rent each month
until our part was paid off.

The fact that we were tenants who took very good care of his property
may also have played into the deal. When he sold the place, the new
owners actually lowered out rent so that we wouldn't move.

This is one of the reasons so many places do not allow pets.

I don't know what proportion of renting pet owners have allowed their
rental to be damaged by their pets, but horror stories both real and
apocryphal have achieved legendary status among landlords. No wonder
they resist renting to pet owners.

That's too bad, because I believe responsible pet owners comprise the
largest segment of the group. People who love their animals have a much
greater obligation to care for their rental than anyone else, just to
counter the paradigm left by others.

If *that* obligatory ethic was the one that landlords thought they were
typically dealing with, imagine how eager they would be to rent to pet
owners!

Landlord: "What luck! Here's a responsible
dog/cat/bird/hamster/reptile/fish owner... what a desirable tenant!"

Seriously, it benefits *all* pet owners to at least maintain, if not
even improve, the property they rent from others. That doesn't
necessarily means spending money. It could just mean creativity and a
little elbow grease.

--
"I wear boots when I play that ol' squeezebox
Stompin' out rhythms