Old March 23rd 04, 07:04 AM
Lotte

I work as a volunteer with a DFW-area rescue group.

A couple of months ago, we received a call from a man who is
attempting to trap and alter the strays around his apt. complex. He
also has a couple of neighbors who don't like the strays, and one
jarhead has been shooting at the strays with a pellet gun.

We haven't yet found a suitable place to relocate the strays and are
still trying to trap them all. In the meantime, does anyone have any
ideas how to deal with Mr. Gunslinger with the pellet gun? The man
we're helping has already reported the shootings to Dallas police, as
it is illegal to fire this type of gun within city limits, but they
don't seem interested in even speaking to this guy. Obviously it would
be nearly impossible to catch him in the act.

I have already offered to stake out the place and put a BB in this
guy's butt, but we're pretty broke and I doubt my fellow cat ladies
could bail me out.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Contact the neighborhood association, if there is one. Most
neighborhood associations don't like illegal activity (i.e., firearms going
off) in their 'hoods and may be able to put some pressure on the guy.

2. Write anonymous threatening letters. OK, I know that sounds weird, but
I've done it, and it works. Anonymous, so he won't know who's watching him,
and threatening, as in "when I catch you doing this, I'm going to make sure
they lock you up and throw away the key," NOT "I am going to kill you" or
something else you could go to jail for.

3. Contact the local SPCA. They're like MADD for cats. They're organized,
and they're ****ed. At the very least, they can put you in touch with other
resources in your community.

4. If the neighbor lives in the apartment complex, contact the management
and let them know what's going on. Most apartment managers don't care much
for tenants who cause trouble with the neighbors. Be a squeaky wheel.

M9