Old August 19th 17, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Getting a quote for a fence

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 13:01:04 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

On 8/17/2017 11:17 AM, dgk wrote:
I don't want a fence, but I need some way to keep my cats from
straying and I"d like to start letting them out. Around $2300. That's
two 25 foot fences with a 4' gate in each one. I was checking on cat
containment systems but putting together a decent one would be around
$700 and wouldn't allow them to really roam the yard.

So I guess I'll do it, but I won't be eating for a while. I'll line
the tops with something like Cat Fence In, because they can easily
scale a 6' wood fence. I thought about vinyl but apparently they can
scale that as well and it's tougher to attach the netting at the top.

Just curious... didn't you mention your house has an atrium in the
middle? Seems to me you were asking about plants. I'd think that would
be a wonderful place to put a cat garden/play area.

Jill

Yup, that's a good memory you have there. But while it serves as a
fine litterbox, it's only 6' by 10' so not really big enough for a
full outdoors setup. No lizards get in there so there isn't much for
them to play with! Well, actually I'm afraid that they will kill a
certain number of lizards if I let them out, but we really do have
plenty of lizards around.

I'm thinking that I won't allow free in/out access. I'm afraid that I
will be the recipient of a certain number of presents under those
condtitions, and while I do like that presents, not that kind.

Mostly the cats will just lie under the bushes, just like they did
back in NYC. For one thing, the birds here are too big for them to go
after. Egrets and Ibisis aren't small little birds.