Old September 4th 13, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

Default Coat matting

reilloc wrote:
Advise, please: my long-haired cat, who's got a personality more
suspicious than a mother/father-in-law (take your choice) and a hair
trigger when it comes to any sudden noise (and when the trigger trips
the creature turns into a buzz saw that must get away) has significant
matting of his coat. By these things, I'm intending to communicate
that it's hard to hold him down for long and when you do, if there's
any unexpected sound from anywhere in or around the house, he'll
start to take off and go through you to get away. So, I'm wanting to,
maybe, sedate him a little--or a lot, if that's what it takes, since
he's clawed furrows through my arms before--so I can cut this matting
out, brush him and start fresh.

Any suggestions as to how to approach this?

Thanks,

LNC

We got a long haired cat from my music teacher who had a hazelnut farm, and
never let the cat inside, because her husband was allergic to it. It wass a
small female with very matted hair, and a very nasty personality. After a
few months, my wife took an electric clipoper to her, and cut all the mats
out. Much to her surprise, the cat stood still for this. Well, her
personality changed completely. She bacame the happiest cat in the house,
and asfter her hair grew back in, it never matted again! We still can't
understand it.....