Old October 8th 03, 03:13 PM
Alison Perera

In article ,
"BrandyÂ*Alexandre" Â* wrote:

I've made the decision that Kami and I will drive to the new
destination instead of fly. Flying and shipping the car just aren't in
the budget. Any good suggestions for us? I'm already preparing some
"get used to it" short trips, and I was thinking that since she
probably won't want to eat or drink, that I should have her sub-q'd
before we go, or learn to do it and give it to her for a couple of days
regardless. I'm also going to get some Feliway. Any further thoughts
(from those who actually contribute, not the diaper brigade)?

I can see disaster brewing. You're going to give a cat subcutaneous
fluids then close it in a travel carrier for hours? Yikes!

When I moved across country I offered water and a litterbox every 3-4
hours, driving 10 hours a day. They refused both, and Hektor peed
himself in the carrier every day, having to sit miserably in it. Tips
One and Two: Drive eight hours or less, and line the carriers with
disposable diapers.

My boys were already accustomed to two feedings per day, mostly of
canned food. They continued with this habit during the trip. I'm sure
this helped their hydration. Tip Three: bring paper plates for the cat
to eat off of and a fork to dish the food out with.

My AC went out during a heat wave through the middle of the country.
Before transferring the boys to the airconditioned moving van my husband
was driving, I spritzed them frequently with water. This kept their
temperatures down and was probably another good source of moisture as
they groomed it off themselves. Although if you're moving soon you
probably won't hit any heat waves, that's Tip Four: keep a spray bottle
of potable water on hand.

Enjoy your trip.
-Alison in OH