Old December 31st 13, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Dog alert!

I have new next door neighbours (not the nasty ones, unfortunately, the
other side)
They seem nice, a young couple with no children yet.

They have a dog, though, a Jack Russell terrier type. It's not that I don't
like dogs, I do very much, but Boyfie often strolls in a leisurely way
through their garden and he won't be expecting to see one there. I hope it
doesn't catch him by surprise as JRT's can kill cats.

I wish I could tell him to watch out for the doggie, but of course I can't.
I have to rely on him being as sensible as he is with foxes and rushing up a
tree, but the difference is he expects to see a fox at night and he won't be
expecting a terrier next door during the day.
It's a bit of a worry, tbh.

Up to now - they moved in last week - I haven't seen the dog in the garden,
but they must surely let it out for toilet duties when I'm not looking. The
fences are not very dog-proof near the house now, so maybe they take it
outside on a lead for that so it doesn't escape. They seem nice enough to
do that. Like "we are new here and don't want our dog breaking through the
fence to upset you."

I will have to tell them I have a cat and they have a terrier and never the
twain shall meet.
I've heard tales of two cats not getting on and fighting when one neighbour
agrees to let their cat out at x o clock until y and the other says I'll let
my cat out from a to d. which works until one doesn't come in..

Luckily dogs always come in at the appointed time for fear of disapproval so
I don't see a problem yet.

Boyfie goes out and comes in when he wants to.

As the new neighbours seem really nice, I am sure we can synchronise if
necessary, although I am making assumptions about their terrier. For all I
know he/she was brought up with cats and loves them. However, maybe not,
and I wouldn't take any risk with the most kind, gentle and beautiful
boycat in the Whole World.

Tweed