Old January 2nd 14, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Dog alert!

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
wrote:
I have new next door neighbours (not the nasty ones, unfortunately, the
other side) They seem nice, a young couple with no children yet.

They have a dog, though, a Jack Russell terrier type. It's not that I
don't like dogs, I do very much, but Boyfie often strolls in a
leisurely way through their garden and he won't be expecting to see one
there. I hope it doesn't catch him by surprise as JRT's can kill cats.

I wish I could tell him to watch out for the doggie, but of course I
can't. I have to rely on him being as sensible as he is with foxes and
rushing up a tree, but the difference is he expects to see a fox at
night and he won't be expecting a terrier next door during the day.
It's a bit of a worry, tbh.

Up to now - they moved in last week - I haven't seen the dog in the
garden, but they must surely let it out for toilet duties when I'm not
looking. The fences are not very dog-proof near the house now, so
maybe they take it outside on a lead for that so it doesn't escape.
They seem nice enough to do that. Like "we are new here and don't want
our dog breaking through the fence to upset you."

I will have to tell them I have a cat and they have a terrier and never
the twain shall meet. I've heard tales of two cats not getting on and
fighting when one neighbour agrees to let their cat out at x o clock
until y and the other says I'll let my cat out from a to d. which
works until one doesn't come in..

Luckily dogs always come in at the appointed time for fear of
disapproval so I don't see a problem yet.

Boyfie goes out and comes in when he wants to.

As the new neighbours seem really nice, I am sure we can synchronise if
necessary, although I am making assumptions about their terrier. For all
I know he/she was brought up with cats and loves them. However, maybe
not, and I wouldn't take any risk with the most kind, gentle and
beautiful boycat in the Whole World.

Tweed

I'm glad your new neighbours seem nice. Maybe when you're having a chat or
if you feel comfortable enough to knock on their door (perhaps with
chocolates) you could drop into the conversation that you have Boyfie and
you hope their dog and Boyfie will get along.

The Jack Russell may be one of the gentle types. Mine was and didn't seem
to have a problem with cats who would walk through the garden.

Purrs for an excellent outcome.

It's not been a problem yet phew I haven't seen it in their back garden
yet at all and I don't think they'd let it loose there as the fence near the
house is not dog proof.

I will probably do as you suggest next time I see them, tell them I have a
cat - they probably don't know- and ask them if their JRT could be a threat
to him. If so, I'm sure we can come to some arrangement. They are of an
age to be both working, so their dog is likely to be let out when Boyfie & I
are still in bed ;-)

It does bark a lot when they are out, though. I can hear it through the
wall. I won't mention it until (and if) it drives me crazy. Then I will
merely suggest they put a bed in the kitchen at the back of the house for
their dog so it cannot get up at the front window to bark at me when I go
outside for wood, or anyone else who might pass by, it goes on for 15
minutes each time. Bark, bark, bark, someone went past the house - 15
minutes of barking.

I ought to trust Boyfie to look after himself really, but my opinion of
terriers has been coloured by the Rat Men. I was advised to keep Boyfriend
inside the house (otherwise he would be an ex-cat) when they were the
garden, killing rats & everything in their path. JRT's were among those
dogs.
So, we'll see how it goes to have a JRT next door.
Tweed

So I'm just a tiny bit