Old October 8th 03, 02:11 PM
Alison Perera

In article ,
(Steve Crane) wrote:

In article ,
(Steve Crane) wrote:

If you want to compare products you ought to compare products within
the same category. Both Wellness and Felidae are "All Life Stage"
foods, which means they have passed AFFCO testing for growth and are
indeed "kitten" foods. Therefore the correct comparison would be to
compare one growth food to another.

Science Diet adult products are designed and developed for adult
animals, not puppies or kittens and thus would not be subjected to the
growth trial. It would be purely a guess on my part, but I would guess
some might pass and others might not. Science Diet puppy and kitten
products could be labelled for "All Life Stages", however Hill's feels
this may mislead a pet owner into feeding a growth product to an
adult. Hill's has a tradition and history of treating disease with the
Prescription Diet products. As a consequence the level so fnutrients
like calcium and phosphorus that are so critical in renal failrue and
other diseases get particular attention. As a consequence dietary
development is always looking at the disease we see and trying to
avoid them. 50 years ago we saw pets in veterinary clinics with
examples of deficiencies in the diets, today we see only the results
of excesses in the veterinary clinic. (Outside of the occasional
animals dumped on the road and suffering from mal nutrition)

So there would be nothing precluding Science Diet Adult from
participating in a feed trial for growth, and no reason it wouldn't pass
except for nutrient levels that cause nutritional deficiency in young
growing animals.

Even the most bargain-basement Walmart and grocery store foods around
here have the AAFCO feed trial label for all life stages.

Either Science Diet is less nutritious than Dad's Original Cat Food, or
it's hypocritical for you to criticize a boutique brand because it plays
to the marketing hype and shoots for the "All Life Stages" label that
appeals to consumers.

Please give an example of a disease caused by nutritional excess, other
than obesity.

-Alison in OH