Old July 11th 09, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Pilling Buster

Takayuki wrote:

The vet said that Buster's lungs sound fine, not like an asthmatic
cat's. They took some x-rays, and said the results might be showing
some slightly thick bronchioles, but that was about it. They sent out
a blood sample to check for heartworm, and gave me some Theophylline
pills, in case it's asthma.

I hope it's nothing serious! Fingers crossed and purrs sent.

This certainly seems like it'll be challenging. How do the rest of
you get your cats to take their medication? Buster's the first cat
I've had that's mostly indifferent to treats, so I'm expecting that
this won't go as easily as it's gone in the past with Betty or Dot.

I give Roxy Lysine for her herpes. I crush and dissolve a pill into
water until the solid grains of the pill are pretty small, and mix
that into some food. Then I add some smelly dried salmon treats to the
mix. I think the smell and taste of the treats does a decent job of
hiding the lysine. Roxy's a delicate eater - she'll usually eat half
of her food and then leave the rest for later. This doesn't work so
well in a multi-cat household, but at least she gets some of it. (The
salmon treats have no additives, BTW, it's just dried salmon bits.)

With Smudge, I do pretty much the same thing with her aspirin, but
I put the dissolved pill into a spoonful of Fancy Feast in a bowl and
mix it all up. She devours it all because it's not much food and she
loves Fancy Feast. It's not the healthiest food, but she only gets
this once every 3 days.

When one of my cats is getting medication in food, I feed that cat
in a room by him/herself. I don't want anyone else getting Smudge's
aspirin. And while Lysine isn't harmful to any of the other cats,
I want Roxy to get as much of it as possible.

If you're free-feeding your cats on dry food, you might want to take
that up for the duration of Buster's treatment. A hungry cat is more
likely to eat his medicine-laced food than one who's been noshing on
kibble all day.

Good luck!

--
Joyce ^..^