Old December 18th 11, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default Cats lethargic after shots?

On 12/18/2011 2:14 PM, CatNipped wrote:
On 12/18/2011 10:55 AM, J J Levin wrote:
Our two cats, Edgar and Agatha, got rabies and distemper shots yesterday,
and in the evening became very sleepy and lethargic. They hardly ate,
they
did use their litterbox, but all they want is to lie down and sometimes
sleep. They didn't move all night.

This morning, it was the same. Just lying there, sleeping. They'll raise
their head if disturbed, but then they go back to sleep.

Having raised three kids, we are aware that every time our human
babies were
inoculated against something, they were quiet and subdued for a day or
two,
hardly smiling, often crying more than usual.

This normal in cats too?

Thanks,

Jay

I'm late reading this but, as other have said it's normal for them to be
a bit groggy. However, if it continues for more than 24 hours, do call
your vet (Monday morning would be soon enough unless they're showing
other signs of feeling unwell).

Are they eating and drinking today?

I think I've mentioned this before or you may have read someone else
talking about this. Just to keep in mind for the future...

Cats are extremely stoic - I think the most stoic animal on the planet
(I always think of Scarlett, the cat who was severely burned (lost ears
even) going back into a burning building time after time until all of
her kittens were saved, when I think of how stoic cats can be). So you
can't rely on them whining or showing any overt outwards signs of being
ill.

This is where it's important to really know your cats. Study their
behavior, their eating and drinking habits, where and how much they
sleep (sick cats will try to find a hiding place to lay to keep out of
sight of "predators"), when and how much they use their litter boxes,
etc. Any change in any of these, or other, behaviors could be a sign of
illness... of course, cats being cats it could also be a sign of a
"b*stard cat trick" (BCT). ;

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/