Old July 13th 03, 09:18 PM
TracyN

"Philip Wagner" wrote ...
I know most here will condemn me for suggesting it but I just can't
keep throwing money away on our cat Andy.

In summer 2002 Andy was diagnosed with diabetes. The total costs in
two months was $1,600.00. The vet still wanted us to bring him in
every two weeks at $200.00 a crack for day long blood sugar tests.
This would end when they determined the insulin level was right.
However other costs such as expensive food, and the problem of having
other cats that try to eat this expensive food. One good thing Andy is
so overwieght he cannot get up to the other cats food dish. When he
wants to eat he incesantly meows until we come and pick him up and put
him on a counter and open the container with his food. Another thing
is the insulin, a minor cost in the sceme of things.

These costs seem very high. I had a diabetic kitty and the expenses were
nowhere near that. I would encourage you to go to the message board
at www.felinediabetes.com for advice on caring for Andy. One thing
they will suggest is that you do the blood sugar curves yourself. I had a
glucometer and tested my cats level every day in addition to doing
curves as needed. It is not very difficult once you get the hang of it.

Doesn't answer your question of when is enough enough, but maybe
it will help you find other options so that you won't feel so frustrated.

Tracy