Old July 25th 03, 08:35 PM
Karen Chuplis

"Andrea Lachner" wrote in message
Hi all!

I posted yesterday under "He's starving himself ... why?" and thought I
would update directly.

I took Mitzi back to the vet to day as she still wasn't eating. Just as

well
as she was dehydrated today - she wasn't when I took her on Wednesday.

They have checked for Aids and leukaemia - negative - thank goodness!

They weren't able to get a urine sample yet - will do that in the morning

check for diabetes .... HOW would a very well looked after cat end up with
diabetes?

Same way babies and well looked after people can get it. It just happens.

Then they are going to check for pancreatitis (sp?) ... apparently this

can
only be with an ultrasound. She said it was not a nice disease for the cat
to have but pretty easily treated .. yeah, right... treat my cat? at
home?.... oh dear!

Thereafter, if the above shows nothing, they will be x-raying ... mainly

the
mouth I think.

They did say that the gingivitis is already looking much better!

So SADLY I really still have no clue as to why she's not eating - they

will
most probably tube her tomorrow to get some food into her! I prefer them
doing it in hospital than me irritating he even more.

Karen - I started with smearing food on her lips this morning, but she

only
played a long for a while before walking away in disgust. At lunchtime
(before I took her back) I tried the same tactic again and she ran away

and
sulked! That was when I decided I could no longer try - I needed to get

her
professional help!

Oh that is good though that you went and nothing said here was intended to
replace seeing the vet.

Just as well considering she was dehydrated!

Dehydration *adds* to now wanting to eat.

Please keep Mitzi in your thoughts and send her many, many get better
quickly purrs!

Thank you
Andrea

Keep us posted.