Old May 4th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default A Pair of Cat's Names

Christina Websell wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Christina Websell wrote:

I don't agree with naming pets with such names, neither do I like birds
being taught to swear.
They are innocent. It's a shame on us to insult them like this. IMO.

Do you worry that some harm might come to the animal, as a result of the
name or (in the case of a parrot) the swearing? That is, that someone
would
get hostile because of those things and take it out on the animal? I've
never heard of any such incidents, but there are certainly some highly
strung individuals who would not be hard to set off. But then in that
case,
I wouldn't want my animals anywhere near that person no matter what their
names are. There are nutcases out there no matter what you do.

Otherwise, I can't see what harm it does to the animal. A cat's dignity
is not defined by a name given to it by a human. Now, falling off the
windowsill, that's another matter. (Wash, wash, wash - I meant to do
that!)

You have not understood my point at all and it is too late at night here
in Britain for me to have time to explain it It's my bedtime.

Oh, I think we all "understand" your point - it's just that we a) consider
it trivial and b) disagree with it!

What a rude post.
I don't consider it trivial at all.

That's not to say most of us here do not! (Can't you find
more important issues to crusade about?)

Yes, cats have no idea what their name might mean. Would you call either of
your girls something like "Big Tits" or the C word?

No, but I wouldn't insist that such names were insulting to
the cats - who couldn't care less, even if they understood
the meanings of the terms. (Considering the behavior intact
cats exhibit when in heat, they would probably heartily
endorse such names, if they DID understand!)