Old November 1st 03, 08:26 AM

John Biltz wrote:

Maya eats very delicately lapping up the tuna with her
tongue, impeccable manners. Her manners would be acceptable at a tea
with the Queen. Bruiser shoves his face in the bowl inhaling the food
with disturbing noises.

This made me chuckle, especially the part about "disturbing noises."

I have at times had cats that had very different styles of eating, where
one cat would end up getting all the food because he/she was much more
aggressive than the others. My way of dealing with it is to feed them
in separate rooms. My two foster kittens shove their faces into anything
at all resembling food and inhale it all, and my other cats have no chance
against them.

So, I have a separate food plate in the bedroom, and when it's feeding
time, I go into the bedroom first and feed the kittens, then close the
door, and feed Roxy and Smudge. All the cats know the drill: the kittens
race into the bedroom (twining around my feet as I walk and nearly
tripping me). When we get into the bedroom, the two of them spin around
in circles with excitement (each in his own private circle - it's really
funny to watch). Once I've fed them, I go back out and close the door
behind me, and find R & S patiently waiting, knowing it's their turn now.

Since both Roxy and Smudge like to eat a little, go away, and come back
a few minutes later to eat some more, I keep the kittens in the bedroom
for about 10 or 15 minutes, until I'm sure R & S have had enough. Then I
let them out, and it's like they're out of the starting gate - they race
for the kitchen to clean up the leftovers, which by then are fairly slim
pickings. But it seems to work well for all concerned.

Joyce