Old November 11th 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default Update: Gabby and whether or not we have killed him yet. Warning: LONG.

Response to "CatNipped" :

"-Lost" wrote in message
Nope, he's still kicking... or should I say scratching and biting
and going ape bouncing off of walls? *shrugs*

Just wondering, have you tried hissing loudly at Gabby when he
gets too rough? It doesn't do any good to yell and say "NO"
because cats don't know our language, so we have to learn theirs.
I've been around cats all my life, so I've learned to imitate all
the sounds they make and I've learned when to make them in order
to communicate what I want the cat to do (or *not* do).

I have often wondered about that. How come dogs can come to
understand verbal commands but cats supposedly cannot?

I say supposedly only because Gabby comes when I call him. And if I
say, "gabby-gabby-gabby" really fast and in a high-pitched voice he
will bolt right past me and head for the food dish -- doesn't matter
where I am, he knows that means food.

However, I have tried hissing and it was because of what you taught
me about crying "Uncle" in kittenese. I don't think I can make it
loud enough without causing myself to choke. HAHAHA!

One thing that I know I have forgot to mention is that Gabby listens
to and responds to ME the most. So if I cry uncle right in his face,
by the second or third time he is done. Thing is he goes on to
easier prey -- the spouse, the puppies, the children.

Regarding another suggestion to give Gabby to someone else before
sending him to the pound... unless it's to someone who really
knows how to train cats and understands what he/she is taking on
with Gabby (and someone who doesn't have children), I wouldn't
pass on a potential danger that I am not willing to face for
myself or my family. Only you are there to gauge how bad the
behavior is and how dangerous it makes Gabby, so all I can say is
use your best judgment. I know you're doing the best you can in
trying to socialize Gabby and give him a good, loving home.

Exactly. I have not been able to locate (nor have I looked in a week
or more) a suitable environment to put him into.

Like I explained to PawsForThought, I am so immersed in that cat's
life it's no wonder he likes me best and responds to me well.
Everyone else is too scared to stick with it long enough.

Remember you and Sheelagh actually had to tell me to STOP the rough
play with him initially. I couldn't get enough of it -- either could
he.

I thin that some people underestimate of don't understand just how
dangerous a cat's bite can be (and, of course, we would all do any
and everything to fix a problem rather than harm a cat in any
way).

Exactly. I am no cat worshiper, but I definitely think I could be
called a cat slave. Granted, I may lead a revolution one day but
master treats me well enough for now.

Just to illustrate the danger (and hopefully I'm not scaring you
with this): There was a story on Animal Planet about a woman, a
pianist, whose cat fell from a second story balcony and impaled
himself on a wrought iron fence.

snip

Nope, didn't scare me a bit. And although I don't totally agree, I
would have stood there holding the poor kitty too.

And I kind of knew that about the teeth when I actually thought about
it, so thanks for bringing it up! I really don't want a horrific cat
bite... just for the record.

Anyway, that is why I take cats' biting very seriously (and
because I had a cat who was a biter and had to spend considerable
amounts for my own medical treatments for cat bites).

It's bad enough when an adult gets bitten, but their larger size
and better immune system makes it harder for an infection to
become systemic. A child who is bitten, however, can succumb
easily to a rampant infection. Again, this is why I always
strongly suggest that people *do not ever* play with kittens with
their hands - *always* use a toy and divert your cat away from
your hands, because once learned, this is a very hard habit to
break (as you're finding out the hard way). As much as I love
cats (and I am a complete ailurophile), I would still have to
place a child's welfare over a pets'.

Oh jeez, I know. Crazy thing is, I still believe this "violence" is
mostly my fault. But jeez, I only roughhoused with him for maybe a
week. He sure knows how to fight though.

And agreed. I think I could be called an ailurophile as well. I
adore Gabby. But like the "angel with a demon's soul" post I made, I
have to think about everyone, definitely my kiddies. My beautiful,
beautiful girls already have so many scars from this little bundle of
sinewy terror.

I really hope you can find a way to get Gabby to quit his biting,
I would be heart-broken to read that he had to be put down because
of this.

I am really excitable and emotional at times, so just you mentioning
that sent me down imagination lane and currently has me stifling
watery eyes.

To be honest, it may be a cop out, but that is why I would take him
to the pound. I could not bear to take him to a vet and sit there
while it happened or to know it was happening while I waited or even
as I left.

OK, now I am crying a bit.

Anyway I'll keep thinking about this (so far all that I've read
about curing cats from biting just lists all the things we've
already suggested you do).

Thank you, CatNipped. As always, I appreciate your help. And I know
Gabby does too.

Gabby as of yesterday:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Lost.Gab...?authkey=3fwq-
CIu_pQ