Old December 7th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Kitten growth rate?

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response to "CatNipped" :

How much do kittens grow from 6 months to a year? Except for
Maine Coons (who can keep growing for up to 5 years - although
with Sammy it's mostly sideways growth ;) - how long do cats keep
growing.

I'm asking because Ozzy is now at 10 pounds. His bro-fur Archer
is only 7.5.

The vet I just called said they have amazing growth for the first year,
intermittent spurts from 2 to 3, and in some cases (I imagine Maine
Coons), spurts up to 5 years.

She also said malnutrition can play a large role -- which is why
devoted slaves see their (healthy) masters double and triple in sizes.

When the "second round" of cat food scares happened, I was too afraid to
continue with the Kitten formula canned food they were eating, so, since the
ingredients looked almost exactly like the ingredients in Fancy Feast, I
switched the boys to that. But they still get their Kitten formula dry.

DH thinks that having broken his leg may have caused Archer to be a little
developmentally behind his bro-fur (not having the same amount of exercise
and his bro-fur), but I think maybe it's just Archer's build. He looks like
he has a more delicate skeletal structure than his bro-fur.

Ozzy, at 10 pounds, is a bit big for a 6 month old, I would think. But ever
since we've had Sammy, "normal" cats all look small to us! ;

I was just wondering if the boys would get much bigger than they are now or
if the rate of their growth will taper off drastically (and at this point,
having spent close to $3,000 at the vet this past year, I'm not going back
in just to ask him that! [besides, he's probably still laughing at me about
the whole "mommy thought it was gangrene when it was only dirty tape
fiasco]!!!).

Hugs,

CatNipped

--