Old January 21st 17, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default I Am An Ailurophile...I Guess shrug

Jack Campin wrote:

"There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of
a cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply
double those figures to arrive at what's typically found attached
to an ailurophile's sweater.)
In a color that starkly contrasts with your clothing.
Don't you dare wear black!

But... my cat is black! Or is that what you mean? Actually, my "black"
cat is white underneath, so if I wear light colors, he can shed black fur
on me, and if I wear dark, he can shed his belly fur.

They seem to be able to shed fur in whatever colour makes the largest
effect, regardless of what it looks like when it's on the cat. My
Muriel looked to the naked eye like a short-haired grey cat, but she
covered the house with long white fluff.

My Splodge was black and white, about equal amounts of each, but after
collecting what I combed off him and getting it spun after he died, I
ended up with a fluffy beige skullcap. (It's wonderfully soft and
snuggly, ideal for cold draughty days at work).

I can't believe you got enough fur to make a hat! How big is the hat?

I should have collected more of Smudge's fur. It was medium-length and
had a "sticky" quality that I think would have spun well. It certainly
assembled itself naturally into clumps often enough (this was during her
Rastafarian phase).

Didn't we have somebody here whose cat spent years trying to persuade
her to dress in orange?

I don't remember that. There have been a number of orange owners here, but
can't remember any talk of collecting orange fur to make clothing.

Joyce

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?