Old July 29th 03, 07:23 PM
Arjun Ray

In , "Phil P."
wrote:

| When hyperkalemia occurs in CRF cats, its usually because the cat is
| either oliguric, over-supplemented with K, or in the terminal state of
| the disease.

Leaving aside the oversupplementation possibility, can oliguria happen
before the terminal stage? With adequate hydration, CRF cats usually
pee tons (okay, that's an exaggeration, but my fella's softball sized
clumps in the literbox are costing me a fortune in litter!), so wouldn't
*less* than normal urine output - which I believe is the meaning of
oliguria - mean that the kidneys are shutting down altogether?

Or is it the case that oliguria in CRF cats can also be due to some kind
of treatable blockage inside the kidneys?