Old May 17th 05, 03:54 PM
Betsy

The crows are predators of cats, not vice-versa. And dead crows should be
waving a HUGE red flag in somebody's face about West Nile Virus, which is
quite serious. Here in Maryland we actually have a task force in the health
department that will come to pick up dead crows and test them.

Cats are normally the way "plagues" are held in check. There is some
serious theorizing that the reason the European plagues took off the way
they did was because people killed the cats--they were superstitious then
(gee, I think your coworkers are superstitious too!) and thought cats were
the implements of witches and the devil. Thus vermin, and the plague,
multiplied.

If it were me I'd go whole hog to educate these ignoramuses, (a SCHOOL, you
say?????) and also I'd immediately call the health department about the
crows.

"Rona Y." wrote in message
The school at which I work has a few cats on campus--none have owners and
only one that I know of has been TNRed. The TNR cat is fed by someone on
campus (not daily, but often) but I do not know if the other cats are also
fed. Recently, a number of crows have been found dead, and people are
blaming the cats. These crows are quite large, and not eaten, just dead.
It seems to me that if hungry stray cats were able to kill these large
crows, they also would have eaten them. However, other staff members are
insisting that the cats are at fault, and that they should be trapped and
turned over to animal control (which will, without a doubt, euthanize
them).

I guess what I'm hoping is to hear that it would be very difficult for a
cat to kill a crow. I need to save these cats, and passing on this kind
of information is pretty much the only way I can help these cats (I should
also mention that I'm in Japan, so no animal shelters, no humane society,
nothing--I've already investigated possible options, and there is no
organization out there who can take these cats). So, can cats kill crows
easily?

rona

"[America] is filled with people who decided not to live in Europe. We
had people who really wanted to live in Europe, but didn't have the energy
to go back. We call them Canadians."
---Grover Norquist in Newsweek, November 22, 2004