Old September 27th 10, 12:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Default OT - How Do You Cope?

On 2010-09-26 5:34 PM, CatNipped wrote:
When you are really, really ill or hurt, what steps to you take to help? Do
you go the everything has to be quiet, lights darkened, like in the bed and
try to nap. Or do you go the exact opposite - wanting as many activities
around as can distract your mind from you own problems. Which do you think
is better and why do you believe that/

Like the others - it varies. If it's largely physical, such as my feet
or knees acting up, I try to rest up, take my medicine, distract myself
with books or dvds and keep my temper. I find it very easy to be
bad-tempered if something hurts, or, in the opposite situation, if I
don't really feel that bad, but I'm supposed to stay home quietly so I
don't spread germs or something, but I'm bored and whiny.

I definitely find that at the worst times, making myself keep a routine
- proper eating, sleeping, and religious activities - helps, and so does
reaching out to others in some way, volunteer work, visiting with
friends etc.

Of course, when I'm feeling really terrible, that's exactly the time
when I don't want to make the effort to do this sort of thing, because I
think I can't, and I also think I can't do some kind of easier version
of maintaining a good lifestyle - making sure that I have the proper
balance in my physical, mental and spiritual life even if I can't eat
out or cook big meals; in general, do things the way I used to when I
was better.

--
Cheryl P.