Old June 22nd 14, 08:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

Default Duffy the blind *dog* regains his sight

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 13:33:18 -0500, "MaryL"
wrote:

There have been a number of recent stories about how Duffy the Irish terrier
regained his sight. He lost his sight due to diabetes, but surgery was
successful after Duffy’s diabetes was brought under control. Naturally, I
immediately thought of my Duffy. Here is the story about Duffy the dog with
a video:
https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trendin...190739849.html

Unlike the dog in the story, my Duffy was born blind. He functions so
remarkably well despite his blindness that I originally thought he might
have a small amount of vision. Shortly after adoption, I took him to a
feline ophthalmologist at Texas A&M University College of Veterinary
Medicine to see if there was anything I could do to save what vision he
might have. However, I learned that he is completely blind, and there is
nothing that can be done. His condition was described as “anterior cleavage
syndrome.” There should be space between the iris and the cornea, but there
is no space in Duffy’s eyes; the two components adhered together. This
probably happened in utero, and possibly was caused by infection in the
mother. However, Duffy does not have any infection; and this was not caused
by herpes (in Duffy) or anything similar. I have always thought that one
reason Duffy does so well is that he has always been blind. He did not lose
his sight due to aging to illness. So, to Duffy, everything is normal. He
does not consider himself “handicapped,” and he just goes ahead and does
everything that any other cat can do. He is an absolute delight and the
love of my life. Duffy is approximately 16 years old. He is an active,
happy little boy.

All of life is amazing. Duffy's other senses have sharpened to
compensate for his loss of vision. Nice story!