Old March 31st 04, 06:25 PM

My 17 year old spayed female cat, who
has been left behind, now howls deep
gutteral meows on and off all day and
night. I thought after a few months it
would improve, but it has not. I go to
find her and she will be sitting on the
edge of the counter howling with all of
her might. I will pick her up and cuddle
or take her back to bed, and she will
purr and be fine, but within an hour,
she will be at it again.
I know she has been traumatized by
losing her friend, but I just don't know
what else to do to console her. Does
anyone have any suggestions? Love and
treats just doesn't seem to be working
and I have no interest in bringing
another cat into the house as a
replacement. It is obvious she is
miserable, and I hate to see my
sweetheart in so much pain.

You should take your cat to the vet and have some bloodwork done,
especially to check for thyroid function. With any cat, but especially
one that is as old as yours, it is important to rule out a health issue
first before assuming it is behavioral. Cats with hyperthyroidism, which
occurs almost exclusively in cats that are 10 or older, exhibit symptoms
such as howling and excessive vocalization. The fact that this occurred
soon after she lost her friend may only be a coincidence and unrelated.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing