Old April 10th 05, 12:44 AM
Shadow Walker

What a coincidence! In my shelter rescue and feral work, I work with
several vets who have the same type of set up as yours and my personal vet
is a double-boarded retired vet professor who taught vets for over 30

years.

Good good very good, I commend you.

I can't and wasn't trying to change your experiences -I'm just trying to
enlighten you about the superiority of canned food for your cats' sake.

ok then I think we cleard up somethings there.

Many canned foods contain *less* fat than dry foods and use a higher

quality
fat - the fat in dry food must be in powered form whereas fresh fat is

used
in canned food.

Yes, I know this as well. Canned works great for some cats.

How did you attempt to transistion your cats over canned food, abruptly or
slowly? Abrupt dietary changes can give any cat diarrhea or loose stools.
Also, did you try several different brands? Some brands contain

ingredients
that don't agree with some cats. Your cat may have had a nutrient-induced
aversion rather than a diet-induced problem.

Does like a snail mean anything. I'm talking like a week of mixing it with
their dry and slowly taking away the dry. They pick around the canned if any
of the dry is too covered with the canned they leave it, if it's just the
juice they lick it off the canned and leave it. Basically they like the
juice in canned foods but not the solids. I have tried chunky, patay you
name it. I even got that vet canned can not think of the name. I bought some
a year or more ago for my sick kitten. He wouldn't eat it.
It was the only thing I could force down his throat. Anyway after doing that
for a week I thought I could give them the canned straight, they picked at
it cried and walked away.

They prefer dry food because they were accustomed to dry food at a young

age
and for no other reason. Nothing about a cat - from her teeth to her

anus -
was designed for the comsumption and digestion of dry food.

No argument there.

I know and have known *many* cats that do well on dry food. However. in

the
long run, cats will do much better on canned than dry - canned is more
nutritious and digestible than equal quality dry and easier on the

digestive
and urinary systems.

Again no argument there. If it works for you go for it.

I doesn't matter how many water bowls they have, cats can't make rapid and
precise changes in voluntary water intake in response to their state of
hydration. Even though cats fed dry food drink about 6x more water than
cats fed canned food - their total water intake and water turnover is much
less. There're actually studies that have proven that

I am aware of the desert hisory. Yes.

The first requirement in any endeavor is desire and the second is belief.
Since you have neither concerning feeding canned food all I can do is wish
you the best of luck.

Even if I have the desire to do it it is ultimately the cat who decides to
eat it or not. I do not think going without eating for more than two days is
a good thing. That's bad on the liver.

Btw, I also noticed that this thread has been crossed-posted from another
group and that you're not a regular of rec.pets.cats.health+behav - which
probably accounts for your outdated and misguided information.

Good luck.

Phil

What does crossposting have to do with "outdated and misguided information".
All the groups that this cross's talk about cats. It's not like I'm crossing
from dogs to cats.
Anyway, maybe in the future we won't have to bash horns. I know your not
trying to run everyone off. You are sincere about your care for cats I
commend you. yet for those people that really don't have a clue you just
make them continue what they are doing and not want to learn from you. They
want to avoid you and your knowledge like the plague that doesn't help there
cats one bit. Remember you do it for the cats not the people but you have to
consider working around the owners.
I have to work around people all the time and bite my tongue on what I would
like to say. lol I've seen things much worse than bad diet to consider. I
have even seen vets that do not wipe the injection sights before or after
vaccinations.brrr..that's bad.

I pet sit for many people in my home for little to nothing so that the
animals can stay somewhere while the family relocate, go on vacation
whatever. I don't do it for the people I do it so the animals no matter the
specie's so they can stay with it's family in the end. Most of the time
there is no money involved just a knowledge that I helped a beloved pet stay
with it's family.

Have a good day.

Shadow Walker