Old May 17th 05, 01:39 PM
Phil P.

"Wendy" wrote in message

Well this woman cat owner doesn't fit your stereotype. I wait till my

girls
are 6 mos and the boys 7 (or obviously sexually mature earlier) before
getting them neutered. I had never heard of very young kittens being
neutered until just recently so I guess it's a case of old dogs, new

tricks
and all that. I'll wait for a generation of cats to be neutered young and
see what the long term effects are before risking my own. But that's just
me.

Cat have been neutered early (6-12 weeks) for 30 years and no early or
long-term adverse effects have ever been documented. Special anesthesia and
surgical considerations must be observed with young kittens, but as long as
the well established anesthetic and surgical protocols are followed,
early -age neutering (EAN) is no more risky than traditional age neutering.

In fact EAN is less traumatic for the cat than traditional-age neutering-
especially for females- because young kittens have less abdominal fat and
muscle to cut. Surgery and anesthetic time is also substantially reduced.
There is also virtually no bleeding because the small vessel size permits
precise hemostasis. Recovery and healing is also much quicker- kittens are
up and playing within minutes after surgery and eating within an hour.

Watch this video:

http://maxshouse.com/Early_Age_Spay-1.wmv

Phil