Old December 18th 06, 08:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
catface

Default How can I get a cat to be a lap cat?

As everyone has pointed out, every cat has an individual personality.
Some are snugglers , some are affectionate but aloof. My current tuxedo
cat Oscar has his moments but we usually pounce on him and wrestle him
to the ground if we want to cuddle him. He rubs and head butts and
sleeps next to my daughter (person of choice. I'm just the slave) but
doesn't want to be held. But we recently fostered a little scrap of a
kitten who was desperately clingy. She would climb up trouser legs,
sleep on laps, under chins, on shoulders..Human contact was very
important to her. (She's with a nice family now who absolutely adore
her) So accept your kitten for what he is. You'll appreciate his
cuddles all the more because they're rare.
Phil P. wrote:
"hamilton" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have a very playful kitten. Sweet personality, but for some
unexplained reason he only likes to cuddle with me. My husband would
really like a lap cat, but kitty doesn't seem interested in him at all.
I am thinking of trying things like only feeding him when he's sitting
on hubby's lap, but that seems extreme if there's an easier way. Any
ideas?

Play with the kitten using a string toy. After a few minutes, hand the wand
to your husband. Encourage your husband to play with your kitten using
interactive toys. Playing is more effective than feeding with kittens.

Phil