Old February 23rd 07, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Wendy

Default Cat at my rescue is sick I need donations!

Every person who starts a rescue group isn't independently wealthy. The
anticipation might be to just have to get shots and speutering to start with
and the OP happened upon a cat with more expensive needs.

I said it is wise to check out anyone before you send them money. In this
case have you discovered anything that would indicate this person to be
running a scam? If so please share the results of your research.

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
That isn't the point at all. The main point is, how can she start a rescue
if she doesn't have the financial means to handle getting care for one
cat. If she can't pay to get one cat's operation or treatment then how
will she handle the many others she intends on helping. I recommend she
volunteer for a larger rescue and do fostering for them.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Wendy" wrote in message
Take a chill pill. Many rescue groups get started with just one person. I
can understand being guarded about sending money to people before
checking to make sure it's legit but someone who is working on their own
and can't afford to pay this vet bill undoubtedly doesn't have the money
to pay to establish the corporation and apply for non-profit status.

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I'm cruel? I don't think it's wrong or cruel to ask how you are able to
operate without a license and a tax ID. Most legitimate groups have the
necessary paperwork to prove they are a non-profit and thus allowed to
operate. If I was a cruel guy then why would I donate money every year
to rescues who BTW, are legally allowed to operate, have the necessary
tax ID #'s that prove their non-profit status? Nobody's telling you to
stop rescuing cats but you can't blame people for asking if you are
legal to operate. Also, scammers abound on the internet and when someone
comes on asking for money to help a cat or they'll be forced to
euthanize them is not only a bad tactic to use but also unethical.

I have worked with many rescues and none of them have said "help this
cat or I'll have them euthanized if I don't receive any money." A lot of
the smaller rescues and even some of the larger ones will often work
with vets that can have procedures done at a reduced rate.

Nobody is making your life harder and I don't think it is unreasonable
to ask if your rescue group or organization is legally allowed to
operate especially if someone who wishes to donate asks for your tax ID
# so they can write off the money they gave you as a donation.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

www.panthertekit.com
"Laura" wrote in message
I am not breaking any law in my city...
I have proof.......I have references from the many adoptions I have
done.
I don't understand why you are so bent on making everyone's life harder
would u rather I stop rescuing cats? and have them out on the streets
dying?
Some people are cruel and you sir are one of them

~Laura