Old September 1st 03, 09:22 PM
KellyH

Just curious, as I missed a lot of this thread, Ann, are you against the
whole, natural pet foods, such as California Natural and Wellness? Both
state they use human-grade ingredients. I just started feeding my cats the
Wellness canned cat food, and I have to say, it smells much better than most
commercial cat food, and I have noticed the litterbox is less stinky.
What about the prescription pet foods? What is a pet owner supposed to do
if their cat or dog requires a prescription food?

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

"Ann Martin" wrote in message
om...
olitter (PawsForThought) wrote in message

From:
pam (Mary)

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/index/consumer/petfoodflier.html

"The Act does require that pet foods, like human foods, be pure and
wholesome,
contain no harmful or deleterious substances, and be truthfully

labeled."

That's about it.

Yeah, that's about it. But I see nothing about pet food be regulated at

all.

You're right, no one regulates the ingredients in these foods.
Contact the FDA/CVM and ask them outright if they, or any agencey,
inspects or tests the raw materials used in commercial pet foods.

One person in this news group stated that the USDA/FSIS regulated pet
food. In an e-mail I received from this department they made it very
clear ""NO" FSIS does not inspects or oversees any ingredients used in
commercial pet food."

I believe this same person stated that it was illegal to use
euthanized dogs and cats in commercial pet foods. Again I quoted from
a letter I received from Christine Richmond of the FDA/CVM who wrote
"CVM has not acted to specifically prohibit the rendering of pets.
However, that is not to say that the practice of using this material
in pet food is condoned by the CVM." First of all, it is not illegal.
Second, the FDA/CVM is aware that this is happening but will take no
step to prohibit this practice. I also have letters from a number of
people associated with the AAFCO, various states across the U.S.. I
asked all of them if any testing is undertaken on any of the raw
materials used in commercial pet foods. The reply from all was "NO."
I have asked the people who over and over again tell us this industry
is regulated to provide some proof of this and not one of them has
been able to do this. They ramble on about calcium, phosphorus,
nutrients in the food, all of which can be sourced from garbage, and
then we are told we should be more concerned about kidney disease etc.
in pets then basically what we are feeding them. Why on earth do they
think the pets are suffering from so many ills. Could it be from the
garbage we are feeding them?

Sorry that this has been a rather lengthy reply to your statement,
Lauren but I think people should find out for themselves how regulated
this industry actually is.

Ann

Lauren
________