Old August 20th 03, 04:33 AM
fuga =^o^=

Hi Christine,

Sub-q fluids was something the vet mentioned as a "down the road"
possibility for Natasha (she called it "kitty dialysis"), and said it
was something they could teach me to do. Did you give the shots
yourself or did you take your cats to the vet to get them? What does
it entail? How frequently were they given? Is this something really
complicated? Were they expensive?

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

Fuga is getting fluids now for his constipation (once a week).. I think they
start the fluid therapy for cats once their creatine gets elevated because
the cats cannot drink enough water to keep up with the dehydration they have
from frequent urination. I think initally it starts off as once a week and
gradually builds up to daily. I think if Natasha is on K/D and she's been
caught at the very early stages it could be many years before you need to do
fluids.

You can take your cat to the vet to have it done but it gets to be costly,
my vet charges $12.50 to administer the fluids, to buy the fluids and the
needles it costs us about $25.00 and we can use it for 10 times... I think
it's best to take the cat in and watch the vet do it a few times and then
gradually you can try doing it at the vet. We took fuga into the vet about
5 times before Bruce and I administered the fluids at home. To be honest, I
cannot get myself to the point of inserting needle yet..

It is upsetting to hear that our kitties have CRF, fuga was diagnosed with
it 14 months ago. Caught early with a proper diet they can liver quite a
while, on some of the CRF groups I'm on there are people who have cats with
CRF for 7 years.

Huggs & headbutts,

Fuga